Monday, April 11, 2016

Our April/May Book Pick: "Burnt Toast Makes You Sing Good" by Kathleen Flinn

I went to an all-day writing workshop this weekend, a fun way to spend a Saturday and very inspiring. As I was listening to the keynote speaker, an author who in addition to penning two books, wrote a column about life and family for the local paper a few years ago. She called her column "Small Moments" and spoke about how writing is all about those small, sometimes ordinary moments, woven together to create a story. It made me think of our April/May Cook the Books selection, Burnt Toast Makes You Sing Good: A Memoir with Recipes from an American Family by Kathleen Flinn, a book made up of small moments--happy, sad, humorous, embarrassing, touching, and even annoying, that make up the story of a family. 


I had stumbled across Flinn's The Sharper Your Knife The Less You Cry (about attending Le Cordon Blue in Paris) a few years ago and then I reviewed her second book, The Kitchen Counter Cooking School (her experiences teaching a group of novice cooks how to make good healthy meals on a tight budget), shortly after. I loved both books and have been wanting to read this one to discover the food and memories that shaped Flinn and how she found her passion for cooking. I am only about a third of the way into the story (I'll be reading along with everyone) but am already enjoying Flinn's family stories--maybe because I can relate to being the youngest "trust me" baby in a large, crazy family without a lot of money growing up in the 70s in America. I hope you enjoy the book, along with the many recipes it contains and that it inspires you to head to the kitchen and cook something delicious. 

Submissions for this round of Cook The Books are due by end-of-the-day Tuesday, May 31, 2016. Anyone can join in by reading the current selection, preparing a dish inspired by its contents, and writing about it. Let me know when your entry post is up by commenting on this post and/or sending me an email at: debinhawaii@gmail.com 

New to Cook the Books? Check out our About and Guidelines pages or leave a question in the comments on this post.

14 comments:

A Day in the Life on the Farm said...

I LOVED this selection and I will be seeking out her other books as well. Thanks for introducing me to Kathleen Flinn. Looking forward to creating a recipe....there are so many choices!!

Deb in Hawaii said...

I'm so happy that you loved it Wendy! Definitely check out her other books. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make! ;-)

Simona Carini said...

Waiting for my copy and looking forward to reading it, even more so after reading your introduction. Thank you Deb!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Thanks Simona--I hope you enjoy it! ;-)

Amy said...

Thanks for a great book choice Deb! I made the Beef Stew from the book & blogged it here! http://www.amyscookingadventures.com/2016/04/beef-stew-cookthebooksclub.html

Deb in Hawaii said...

I'm happy that you liked it Amy! Thanks for being the first entry for this round. ;-)

Terri Steffes said...

Loved the book! Writing my post and hope to be live on May 23.

Simona Carini said...

Here's my contribution: http://www.pulcetta.com/2016/05/recipe-gluten-free-seed-crackers.html
Thank you Deb!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Thanks Simona! ;-)

Claudia said...

Thanks for hosting Deb. My post is up, and pizza was the inspiration: http://honeyfromrock.blogspot.com/2016/05/perfect-pizza-makes-me-sing-thats-amore.html

Deb in Hawaii said...

Mahalo Claudia! ;-)

Debra Eliotseats said...

Deb, mine will be up at the last minute. I have it written but have to make and photograph the dish tonight. It should be up on the morning of the 31st of not sooner. Here's the link when it is: http://eliotseats.com/2016/05/31/pickled-grilled-cheese/

Deb in Hawaii said...

No worries Debra! Mine won't be up until Sunday so I am joining you in the last minute as usual! ;-)

Esme said...

ohh I just placed a hold on this.